Welcome to our website !

Défilé de Mode : Printemps 2015

By 11:53 AM

Since Francophones the world around are known for their style, why WOULDN'T my second and third graders put on a fashion show??



I'd been looking for a craftier project for them because I often feel bad that my K-1's get to do all the cute stuff. We were studying clothes (see here) so it made sense to use that unit. After I showed them photos of some wild haute couture, they were officially inspired and ready to go.

Our design process was manifold, starting, as it often does, with a sketch. This part was fun and helped get the creativity flowing, but I may cut it out altogether next time I do this project. Though they came up with some great designs, their ultimate product turned out to be a lot different due to material restrictions (and gravity/reality?). In retrospect it was more redundant than productive to have them create twice. After the sketch, the kids got to make their actual fashions on clothespin mannequins I assembled myself with a glue gun. Using fabric scraps, sequins, paper, ribbons, and LOTS of glue dots, the students brought their visions to life on the mannequins! The next step was creating a script for the fashion show to describe what each model is wearing, including the colors of course.

 
Finally, the fun (and chaotic!) part. I used the Puppet Pals iPad app to have them each create a narrated clip of their model walking down the runway. The great thing about Puppet Pals is that you can use your own pictures for both the characters and background, plus it is super kid-friendly and easy for them to manipulate independently. I found a picture of a catwalk with a quick Google search and uploaded it for them all to have a consistent background for our show. The kids took pictures of their mannequins and cut them out to use them as character. Once they had practiced their pronunciation with me, I let them find a quiet spot to record the commentary.
 
A couple hours of editing on iMovie later, I had complete fashion runway show with catwalk music in the background and lots of kids speaking French! This was a wonderful way to get the kids a bit more comfortable with their speaking and the more reticent children were so excited that they would get to perform without worrying about getting up in front of everyone.
 
 
  


You Might Also Like

0 comments